Christian Veterinary Mission Controller
Christian Veterinary Mission
Contact Person: Kit Flowers
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (206) 546-7226
3 – 5 years
CEO of Christian Veterinary Mission
Christian Veterinary Mission (CVM) is a registered 501c3 non-profit entity. We exist to share the love of Christ through veterinary medicine. We work in communities worldwide to equip and encourage veterinary professionals and students to build relationships with others through the use of their veterinary knowledge and skills so that lives are transformed.
The CVM Controller is responsible for the accounting operations of CVM, including the production of timely financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of internal controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with GAAP. In addition, the controller is responsible for cash management and risk management and has overlap in many human-resource-related functions. This position will supervise other accounting staff as the budget opens for hires of such positions.
Specifically, the tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Develop, implement, administer, maintains and enforces a documented system of accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls necessary for effective financial operations
• Ensure effective use of accounting related software and regularly review software to ensure software meets current business needs
• Manages outsourced functions (e.g. payroll, 401K administration, tax preparation, health care, etc.)
• Oversees the accounting operations of related entities, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
• Provide leadership, understanding and training regarding CVM’s accounting and donor tracking and receipting technology.
• Provide leadership to CVM’s purchasing needs including the organization’s purchasing card program.
• Develop appropriate short- and long-term objectives, strategies, standards, and performance evaluations for Accounting Department.
• Ensure that payables and required debt payments are paid in a timely manner
• Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on payables
• Prepare and issue invoices, including pulling employee time data and expense reports
• Manage cash needs to maintain appropriate availability and returns
• Ensure that receivables are collected promptly
• Process payroll through CVM vendor in a timely manner
• Ensure that all general ledger account reconciliations are completed on a timely basis
• Process ACH and wire transactions
• Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations and credit card reconciliations are completed on a timely basis
• Maintain the chart of accounts
• Maintain accounting and time keeping systems
• Prepare investor distributions across all entities
• Understanding of legal terminology
• Experience with Zoom or Microsoft Teams
• Issue timely and accurate GAAP basis monthly financial statements
• Coordinate the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to Management, lenders, Board of Directors
• Work with Management to develop benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
• Propose to the CEO changes in accounting and financial policies and procedures
• Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
• Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
• Analyze variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
• Provide financial analyses as needed
• Prepare the annual budget process and after internal approval, submit and defend it to the Board of Directors Finance Committee at least 30 days before the end of the fiscal year.
• Responsible for timely and accurate financial reporting and financial audits of CVM and leadership for CVM’s accounting and finance needs following the highest levels of accountability, transparency, and integrity
• Prepare and report federal tax returns, other state and federal filings including W2’s, 1099s payroll taxes, state business tax returns, business license renewals, real and personal property taxes, federal census reports, unclaimed property and Office of Insurance Commissioner filings
• Ensure CVM’s employees and vendors are paid timely, accurately and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
Training & Teamwork
• Work with team to create best practices in alignment with CVM and industry standards with respect to billing systems and donation tracking and receipting
• Manage relationships with CVM management and staff to secure solutions that add value and help the organization fulfill its mission.
• Consult on accounting and finance issues to CVM ministries and departments including the implementation of new accounting guidance.
• Complete ministry research and other reporting, or coordinate with external specialists, as required.
• Participate in the general management of CVM through department meetings, new software review process, and/or Board of Directors meetings as requested.
• Create a culture of cooperation and mutually beneficial relationships that provides excellent customer service.
• Work collaboratively with supervisor, coworkers, staff and customers.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key Skills & Competencies
• In-depth knowledge of GAAP
• Technical knowledge of FASB policies, state and federal tax laws
• Experience in implementation of system changes and/or updates
• Keen understanding of internal controls and regulatory compliance
• Able to successfully work in a team-oriented environment and partner with internal colleagues and external suppliers
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• High comfort level with the technology used to aid in collaboration, communication, and documentation
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
Educational & Professional Experience Requirements
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in accounting & finance with increased levels of responsibility
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the United States Department of Education required. Relevant work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
• CRM Software (Sales Force preferred)
• Accounting Software (Sage Intacct preferred)
• Office 365 (including Excel, Teams and SharePoint)
Market appropriate; experience and skills considered, comprehensive benefits package included.
This is a full-time, office-based position. In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19, all employees have been given the opportunity to work remotely. Once the company makes the decision to return to the office, the position will be expected to be in the office full time or a hybrid model combining remote and in-office time. Please note that there may be times during remote work where the candidate will be required to go to the office to perform certain tasks. In these instances, all safety protocols will be adhered to.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Efforts
We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize that our mission and values are best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our region’s diversity is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status, or other status protected by law.
As advisors by trade, we know that innovative solutions emerge from unique perspectives, experiences and identities. As such, our team and our partners are our life force. We encourage employees to get involved and to feel comfortable voicing their opinions and sharing their ideas; our goal is for everyone to feel and be heard, included and acknowledged. To that end, we are committed to continue working to become a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We know it is a journey and while we may not get it right all the time, we are committed to listening and learning in order to effect change in our organization and beyond.