Contact Person: Scott Mcdiffett
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (253) 815-2843
The Intersection of Calling and Career
Join World Vision as Data Scientist
01 At a Glance
Role: Data Scientist, Marketing
Experience level: Mid to Senior Level (At least 5 years of relevant experience)
Required experience: At least 5 years of hands-on experience with predictive modeling and machine learning algorithms such as regressions, trees, clustering, and text mining. At least 5 years hands-on experience writing significant SQL and/or Python programs. Hands-on experience with model monitoring/model operations, descriptive statistics, exploratory statistics, and information visualization.
Preferred experience: Data science experience focused on Marketing analytics. Masters degree/certificate in data science, statistics, business or equivalent (10 years) work experience.
Location: Prefer Seattle (Federal Way, WA) base. Remote possible w/preference for Pacific NW base for ease of travel to the HQ office as needed post-pandemic.
Compensation Range: Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package. Click here to learn more.
Benefits: Yes. Click here to learn more.
Company size: 900+ (World Vision USA) / 35,000 worldwide (World Vision International)
02 Join professionals with purpose
At World Vision USA you’ll join people who are all-in to impact the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. Our recipe includes love of all people, fiscal responsibility, and targeting the root causes of poverty. Our purpose includes human transformation for the most vulnerable and for the donors who support them.
And the impact is real. Every day we see donors’ hearts draw closer to the heart God has for children, families, and communities affected by poverty and injustice. The work you’ll do here will help make it possible that every 60 seconds a family gets water, a hungry child is fed, and a family gets the tools they need to overcome poverty.
03 The Job
We are looking for a seasoned data scientist with a passion for applying machine learning and building solutions that inspire our donors and provide a better life for hundreds of thousands of children in 100 countries. You will be joining a team of two other data scientists who have been given executive level support to expand machine learning for marketing and fundraising initiatives.
– Helping define our evolving vision and tactics of machine learning for all World Vision marketing functions.
– Leveraging automated machine learning, as well as programming, to take predictive models from ideation to feature creation, training, and implementation.
– Monitoring and managing models over time to ensure we are continually putting our best foot forward for our faithful donors.
– Serving as analytical consultants to our marketers by setting up and reading market tests, producing actionable insights from deep-dive analyses, and applying best practices in information visualization.
– Applying sound statistics that help the organization make reliable data-driven decisions.
– Keeping Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attending and participating in weekly devotions, chapel services, and regular prayer.
04 You Bring
– Heart for service because we are not just working with data, we are working with valuable donor dollars and impacting the livelihood of the world’s neediest children.
– Team spirit because we try to learn from each person and function as a body of Christ, not a lone ranger or unicorn. Yet you also bring a “figure it out” attitude because you are an independent and resourceful adult.
– Passion for continual learning because our industry, our organization, and the data science world will never stop changing.
– Creative problem solving with machine learning and the fortitude to follow through to the end because our data and our projects won’t be easy.
– Real-world experience in marketing data science (including digital marketing). This means you can build models, but have also wrestled with defining training sets, creating features, and monitoring models over time because you know the building part is only the tip of the iceberg.
– Fluency in SQL and Python to pull and transform data, conduct descriptive analysis, and perform machine learning. There will be a lot of coding for sure and it won’t always be the glamorous machine learning type.
– Familiarity with automated machine learning because we’re a non-profit trying to do more with less by embracing Datarobot to do the work of 5x more people than we actually have.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills that resonate with lay people because you’ll be working with marketers who put tremendous value in words and images.
05 Where this job could take your career
World Vision USA is a part of the larger World Vision International partnership. Globally, we have nearly 35,000 staff working in nearly 100 countries. Just over 900 of us call World Vision USA home. You’ll have opportunities to advance within our robust and talented group of professionals as you continue to stretch and grow your career for the future.
06 Let your work be your faith in action
Every day, nearly 16,000 children under the age of 5 die from preventable causes. Our call to action is urgent. That’s why we’re looking for someone who is ready to place their expertise behind helping the world’s most vulnerable children. Every data-driven decision made and donor experience optimized can help influence whether someone chooses to help today or not. If not you, then who?
07 Salary Range & Benefits
Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package.
08 To Apply: Press the apply box in the lower left corner.
09 What happens next?
Glad you asked. We owe you that and strive to not leave you wondering. We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. Sometimes questions arise on our end so we message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Moving deeper into our selection process you can expect to interview 1:1 with a hiring manager. Finalists normally participate in a panel interview where the opportunity to meet additional members of our staff lends itself to more of a 360-view of the role. Our most valuable resource is our talented staff. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time, so we have all hands-on deck to move this important work forward.
Job Location: Prefer Seattle (Federal Way, WA) base. Remote possible w/preference for Pacific NW base for ease of travel to the HQ office as needed post-pandemic., United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Working Environment / Conditions: Standard office environment.