The Salvation Army
Contact Person: Marcel Burbach
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join a team where you can offer compassion, dignity, and sustainable
opportunities for people in need in your local community!
Use your administrative and social services skills as a Shelter Attendant / Monitor!
The Salvation Army is seeking Shelter Attendant / Monitors to provide care and assistance to shelter
residents in King County. This role helps individuals in immediate need and coordinates and responds to
crisis and inquiry calls by providing support, information and referrals to individuals seeking assistance
with food, shelter and resources. Responsibilities include scheduling client intakes via telephone
referral, conducting client interviews, processing guest intake data, and conducting security rounds.
The Salvation Army is an inspiring place to work. With offices in every major US city and over 120
countries around the globe, it’s a place where people can invest in people on every level. In the
Northwest region of the US, we serve people with food to shelter opportunities and almost everything
in between. We are committed to being an efficient and effective network of local offices that make up
a huge western region team. In other words, we’re committed to being big and small at the same time.
That makes us a seriously great place to work. As one of the most impactful social service organizations
in the world, we hire people who constantly seek new ways to keep us moving forward. We welcome
you on finding your place to offer opportunities for people in need!
The Shelter Attendant / Monitor works closely with participants of the King County Shelter Program.
Facilities are clean, monitored with security and supported by King County resources. Whether providing
basic needs, services, or de-escalating client interactions, the position receives daily supervision from
the King County Shelter Program Manager, Supervisor or designated assistant.
This position is full-time and non-exempt and located in Seattle, Washington.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Respond to crisis and inquiry telephone calls by providing support, information and referrals to other
appropriate social service agencies.
• Provide assistance to shelter residents to ensure a safe environment including compliance with rules
• Conduct periodic walking inspections of all areas of the facility, for the purpose of identifying and
initiating appropriate action (correction, reporting, etc.) of hazards, inappropriate behavior, needed
repairs or other notable condition.
• Respond to emergency situations that may arise, making independent decisions within policy
guidelines, as necessary.
• Provide crisis intervention and institute security procedures should a critical or threatening situation
arise. Provide timely and appropriate notification to police, fire, emergency medical and supervisory
• Conduct client intakes and departure processes, as required by department policy.
• Provide orientation, support and supervision to volunteers.
• Assist with the orientation and training of new staff, volunteers and interns.
• Work cooperatively with other Salvation Army staff and programs.
• Represent Salvation Army programs to other community agencies and representatives in a respectful
and positive manner.
• Participate in staff meetings.
• Maintain case records and required forms and reports in prescribed format.
• Comply with Salvation Army procedural requirements, including those set forth in the Policy &
Procedure Manual and Employee Handbook.
• Prepare water, coffee, snacks for guests, when available.
• General cleaning (including mopping, sweeping, wipe down) of facility bathrooms, sleeping area, and
common areas as assigned. Work with Janitorial Staff as assigned.
• Perform other duties as requested.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
• HS Diploma or GED
• Minimum of 6 months experience in a public contact environment or customer service
• Experience in human or social services, preferably in a shelter / residential preferred
• WA Driver’s License preferred (Remove if this role does not require driving)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• An ability to engage with diverse populations in a respectful and culturally responsive manner.
• Demonstrates a commitment to the values of equity and inclusion by honoring diverse characteristics
and expressions of personal identity.
• Detail oriented – attention to detail required
• Team player
• Strong use of the English language in verbal and written communication
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Effective communication and telephone skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain poise under pressure
• Customer service mindset
• Ability and willingness to keep information confidential
• Ability to successfully complete Salvation Army child safety/vulnerable adult (“Protecting the Mission”)
background/reference check procedure
• Basic mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, division, & multiplication)
• Willingness to abide by the Salvation Army’s drug and alcohol policy
• Basic proficiency with an e-mail system
• General proficiency with Microsoft Office tools – Outlook, Word and Excel; helpful if familiar with
PowerPoint but not required
• Working knowledge of integrated database applications and ability to use new software programs
with basic training.
• Ability to rapidly travel over uneven surfaces, up and down steps, up and down ramps and to climb
stepladders, as necessary to perform duties of the position.
• Ability to grasp, push, pull objects such as files, file cabinet drawers, and reach overhead.
• Ability to lift up to 45 lbs.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by an
employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add
to, revise, or delete information in this description.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without
accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the
job or work environment in order meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army
will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue
hardship would result.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church.
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach
the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Equal Employment Opportunity; Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Minorities/Veterans
If you are interested in applying for this position, you must apply directly using the link below: